Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Bicycle Monster Energy

When Billiken and Lino were looking

The September 28, 1936 Lino Palacio had his first illustration for the cover of the magazine Billiken (number 880). And from there, for just over thirty years, this great artist delight to several generations of kids with their creations. His work gained strength and popularity so that children who developed at some point this season, citing the magazine means immediately associate Lino caps.

remember several years ago dedicated a large sample to work Florencio Molina Campos, especially related to production for the calendars of espadrilles. And from that time stayed with me the enthusiasm of the boys towards these images of the past. I think there is a need (and obligation) of a similar work relating to the Palace. It would certainly be a big happiness for a wonderful discovery for the kids of today.

This group covers that I scanned you can see how their design evolved: In the beginning their images are similar to what was fashionable in the '30s. But by the end of 1939 there is a dramatic change: it begins to emerge "style palace." And in the '40s and '50s is in full fullness. However, during the 60s (time of great change at all levels), the artist applies some innovations, perhaps in line with the times ... (see, for example, changes in the line and fashion long pants - or "cowboys" -)

I close this entry with the words of Lino published in the special supplement Billiken upon completion in 1979 the sixtieth anniversary of the magazine:

"When he came out and was Billiken great to read. I was a teenager. I knew him well some years later, when I started drawing the covers. One day we met Charlie Vigil in a bridge club and asked me if I dared to do Billiken caps. I said yes and sent him a few, liked, and there began the series. I have a childlike spirit and I was very happy doing that job. From that moment I caught the magazine. Perhaps the two things that interested me in my work and gave me more popularity caps have been Billiken and the History of War, who published under the name of Flax. I used this pseudonym because it seemed a contradiction that a cartoonist who had issues of war at the same time do things for kids in Billiken. When I started drawing them, the lids were a success. Perhaps I noticed it more than the magazine. Received hundreds of letters from teachers and students throughout the country. Original asking me to hang in the classroom. So today I have no original: I was giving to all schools, and sent them with great joy. I have been in the history of drawing as the man who made the covers of Billiken. The knowledge that people have of me - do not say fame - comes from that for a long time I saw the covers. I traveled a lot, walked around the interior, and are still in the classroom caps cut from magazines. I think that was a resounding success. Stopping them was one of the things that I regretted in my life. Today I love them again. "

nros. 889 (1936) y 922 (1937)

nros. 1045 (1939) y 1085 (1940)

nros. 1270 (1944) y 1462 (1947)

nros. 1562 (1949) y 1808 (1954)

nros. 1872 (1955) y 1909 (1956)

nrs. 2278 (1963) and 2328 (1964)

0 comments:

Post a Comment